Space News from SpaceDaily.com
China property giant Vanke reports annual loss of $6.8 bn
ADVERTISEMENT


Hong Kong, March 31 (AFP) Mar 31, 2025
Debt-laden Chinese property giant Vanke reported annual losses of 49.5 billion yuan ($6.8 billion) on Monday, citing falling sales and shrinking profit margins despite Beijing's attempts to revive the housing market.

Vanke said 2024 was an "exceptionally challenging year" in a filing to the Hong Kong stock exchange and apologised for "distress caused... due to the significant decline in sales, substantial losses and pressure on our liquidity".

Beijing has in recent years grappled with a prolonged crisis in the country's vast real estate sector, once a key pillar of the economy but now beset with sprawling debt.

Hong Kong-listed Vanke is part-owned by the government of Shenzhen and was China's fourth-largest real estate firm by sales last year, according to research firm CRIC.

Vanke said on Monday that it "failed to break free from expansion inertia of high-debt, high-turnover and high-leverage in a timely manner, which led to problems" such as aggressive investment and over-expansion.

Last year marked Vanke's first annual loss since it was listed in 1991 and the magnitude exceeded the firm's January estimate of $6.2 billion.

Revenue fell 26 percent year-on-year to $47.3 million.

Vanke partly attributed the losses to "significant decrease in the settlement scale and gross profit margin of the development business".

Company chief operating officer and executive vice president Liu Xiao resigned from his position on Monday "due to work adjustments", the firm said.

"After stepping down from these roles, (Liu) will continue to work for the Company, focusing on strategic investment business," according to the company.

Vanke has seen a shakeup of its top management, including the resignation of its CEO Zhu Jiusheng on January 27 which the company said was "due to health reasons".

That month, Chinese outlet the Economic Reporter cited sources as saying Zhu had been "taken away by public security authorities", without specifying his alleged offences.

Beijing announced support measures in November for the ailing property sector that included lowering deed tax rates for certain first and second homes in four major cities, including Beijing and Shanghai.

Despite the policy package, Vanke suffered net losses of $4.35 billion in the final quarter of last year.

The company said it will face a concentrated repayment of its public debts this year, "further intensifying the liquidity pressure".

Chinese authorities were mulling plans to help Vanke plug a funding gap of $6.8 billion this year, Bloomberg News reported last month.

Vanke is among several major Chinese property firms mired in a debt crisis in recent years that has left developers in severe financial distress.

Troubled property developers Kaisa and Country Garden -- both fending off winding up petitions in Hong Kong courts -- also reported losses separately.

Kaisa said on Monday that its losses for the year grew 48.4 percent to $4.03 billion in 2024.

Country Garden reported an annual loss attributable to company owners of $4.5 billion on Sunday, adding that its total debt amounted to $34.9 billion as of the end of last year.


ADVERTISEMENT





Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Rising odds asteroid that briefly threatened Earth will hit Moon
Amazon prepares to launch first full batch of Project Kuiper satellites
Eutelsat expands airborne internet with operational LEO service for aircraft

24/7 Energy News Coverage
AI could impact 40 percent of jobs worldwide: UN
A new path for quantum connections
EU delays 2040 climate target until summer

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
Trojan Horses in Space: Cyber Threats Hidden in Satellite Networks
AFWERX backs Slingshot AI tech to monitor suspicious satellite activity
Can NATO agree a deal on spending that satisfies Trump?

24/7 News Coverage
Microplastics debate ramps up tensions over EU green ambitions
Protest as quake-hit Myanmar junta chief joins Bangkok summit
Carbon Robotics debuts autonomous tractor system with live remote control capability



All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.